Monday, September 2, 2013

These Hands - Hello Story week 8

This week's prompt for the class was maps. I know that you will think there is no connection to the layout I made and maps. But one of the layouts that Ali made was thinking of the different parts of the body as a map and kind of explain what they do right now. She had made a layout of her hands and what they do. I thought it would be fun to do a layout of Arjun's and Surya's hand prints and what they currently use their hands for. When I was writing down all the things they do, it was fun to contrast how they use them to do different things right now. I also loved to see the contrast between the sizes of their hands. I could direct Arjun - my 8 year old very easily what to do but it was a different story with Surya - my 3 year old. With Surya's hand prints, I had to do a couple of tries. They are still not perfect, but that is part of the fun. I don't think I have ever made and stored their hand prints before. So this was a fun project. Both and Arjun and Surya were quite excited to do this.  Here is my finished layout:


I used Maggie Holmes's Crate paper collection for the patterned paper and the stickers along the top and the bottom as borders. This collection actually has a lot of flowers and I thought that it had a somewhat feminine vibe to it but I was pleasantly surprised that it suited this project so nicely. I thought the Chevron paper was well suited for the journaling.
Ali had provided us with .PNG files that had the 'these hands' circle. I made it big enough to fit Arjun's hands and cut the printed circles out on a white Bazzil cardstock. I then cut the circles out with silhouette.
She had also provided us with .PNG files containing the cursive handwritten 'these hands' that I used as a title. I converted them to .studio file and cut it out with the silhouette also. The card stock I used to cut it out with turned out to be quite subtle against the background but then I didn't want to use another one after I cut it out so I just went with it.
For the handprints, I used Tim Holtz's fired brick Distress Ink. I thought that it went very well with the distressed brick background.Trust me though, it was quite hard to get the ink out of my kids's hands.
I used gold thickers from American Crafts for my kids's names. The gold arrows, sequins and the kraft card stock are from various Studio Calico kits. The gold arrows are manufactured by freckled fawn.
Hope you enjoyed looking at it. This is my first ever layout without a photo. Stay tuned for another one soon.
Have a great day....
~Neela

Post a Comment