Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Using complementary colors on a layout

Using complementary colors to create a layout was one of the first lessons we had in the Color Studio class at Studio Calico. The examples provided in this class as usual were very beautiful. So when we think of complementary colors, we automatically gravitate to red and green, blue and orange and purple and yellow as the complementary colors. But if you used them literally, in their brightest hues, they could be quite jarring. So using hues of these complementary colors together can be more pleasing. The color wheel below was shared in our class message boards and I think it was so enlightening to see the color wheel with the perspective of tints, hues, tones and shades.


To make my layout with complementary colors, I selected pink and the opposite shade on the color wheel which is shade between green and blue. Here is my layout:

Here are some close ups:



I used the office hours and coffee break scrapbook kit to make this layout. I love this cloud paper from Crate paper Style board collection.I used the Dear Lizzy stickers from Day Dreamer collection to embellish the photos. The stickers went so well with paper. I used three photos of me and my goofy baby while we were waiting for Arjun to finish his baseball practice. I just wanted to record these selfies and the context behind those. 

This is a very simple layout. I first stuck the photos on strip of pink patterned paper. I then stuck this on the cloud paper. I stitched along the top and bottom of the strip. I then embellished with the stickers and enamel dots.  I painted the tag pink with water color and printed my journaling on it and then attached it under the strip of photos.  I also added some twine to the tag and embellished it with enamel dots and mint star sequins from color theory. The sequins are a beautiful color. I love these. I wrote the date at the bottom and the layout was done.
Hope you enjoyed the thought process in making this layout.
Have a great day!
~Neela

SUPPLIES USED:

No comments :